Monday, April 12, 2010

Life's a Beach











          While I'm trapped in a seemingly endless school day, I like to pretend that the beach is calling me.
In reality though, the beach and I are far from BFFs. Have you ever thought about how, despite the millions of beaches on the planet Earth, beaches nearly always follow definite article "the". The beach. Notice next time you're chatting about summer vacation plans. "Oh yea, I'm going to a beach in three weeks!". It just doesn't happen...
          So other than the grammatical anomalies that surround the most popular getaway spots, the beach is a curious place. Very few other places will so commonly accept and even welcome sand. We have the desert, child play areas, and your cat's litter box. Ew.
          And let's talk about the water. Fish pee in it. Children pee in it. Your mom probably pees in it, and so does that elderly man floating in the inner tube next to you. Ew.
          And the sun. For me, this is the first thing I imagine feeling when I take a brain trip in the middle of history. The sun on my back, making me feel warm from the outside in. However, I don't know about the rest of you, but I was born with Irish/English skin. I burn like that gruesome McDonald's french fry that gets left in the bottom of the grease basket order after order because the attendant is too busy kissing his future goodbye to remove and serve it. If I leave the house without spf 30 I come home looking like a fire engine, sirens and all.

          But even after all the abuse I take, I keep going back for more. It's a rocky relationship. We fight back and forth, say hateful things, and refuse to take out the trash until someone goes to bed angry. But as they say, "Life's a Beach"














          So with all of this being said, I have to share with you the most unusually amazing beach I've ever come across. If there really were only one beach, I'd pick this one to be "the beach".
          In Fort Bragg, California, resides a coast covered in glass. Sounds dangerous right? It's not. The tides of the ocean have smoothed the shards to perfectly harmless beads. It looks amazing and I'm dying to go.

Check out some other amazing beaches on this photo essay (once you scroll through past all the crap)

First photo by astrocruzan
Second photo by Matthew High
Third photo by FeatherBirdLady
Fourth photo by Christopher Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment