Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spring break recap

Note: Get ready for a super-long post. Go ahead, just look at the pictures. I understand.

Hello dead week!
Unfortunately I have found myself in the midst of this unfavorable crunch time. So instead of studying or working on final projects or the two articles I have due this week, I figured I'd use this time to recount tales of my adventurous spring break, before I forget them.

About two and a half days before classes ended, I decided to drive the 7+ hours to Dallas, TX, to visit my friend Olivia who goes to UD. I left her notification by way of this odd video, which I am almost embarrassed to share here. Almost.

Since one of my Friday classes was canceled and the other only required me to turn in an essay, I left early (see 10:00a.m.) in the morning. After a slight misdirection, I crossed the Mississippi River bridge and was well on my way.
















After about 4 hours of driving, I was seeing signs for Natchitoches, LA, which I can STILL not spell without assistance.

My friend Rivers goes to Northwestern in Natchitoches, so I called her when I was about 45 minutes out for a visit. We met at a Wendy's (a local hot spot) and she took me to see her new town house where she proceeded show me how to vacuum bees with a shopvac. Best. Detour
Ever.





















About four hours after that, I arrived in Dallas, only to become very confused by Texas roads and construction. I was fine until my second to last turn, which I missed, causing me to end up in some place called Cistercian.

Olivia had to come find me. Turns out I was about 1/2 a mile from the school. Yeaaa....

I walked into her dorm, set my things down, turned around and got straight back in a car, headed to downtown Dallas for a free Better than Ezra concert! WooHoo!










































All show long we were trying to catch one of the copious amounts of guitar pics the band throws out during performances. We were largely unsuccessful. However, at the end of the show the drummer threw out his drumsticks. One sailed fatefully in our direction, only to scramble out of every outreached hand and fall into this storm drain.





















Sad day.

The next morning I was rudely awakened at the ass crack of noon by the fire alarm in the dorm. I sleepily exited the building into the harsh sunlight and sat in the grass for a good fifteen minutes.

We made a trip to Buffalo Exchange, the best second hand store in the world. In addition to two dresses, I bought. a pair. of overalls. Yes.

After at trip the the mall, I'm pretty sure I fell asleep in Olivia's bed for a bit. We went to a night club called Plush, where I witnessed a middle-aged woman in hiked-up yoga pants fling her body around a stripper pole. Not cute.

Sunday I made Olivia take me around the city, despite how few times she'd actually been in it.
(I know this photo is crooked, I was hanging out of the sunroof)















We went to the downtown farmer's market. The venders cut up pieces of fruit and handed them to shoppers walking down the rows, it was fantastic. I bought a delicious bag of grapefruit and some not-so-delicious peaches.















After my hands were sufficiently sticky with fruit juice, we drove to the Dallas Museum of Art, where Olivia and I learned that we are too immature to be allowed in such a place. We had more fun in the kiddie section than any of the more sophisticated exhibits.

We took photos of us in every reflective surface we could find...





















































Danced with the art...






















And pondered the code of the Dallas Fire Martial.
















After returning to UD, we finished up the night with a little light painting.






























In the morning, I sat in on one of Olivia's classes, visited Aslan...






















and then headed home!

I made another stop in Natchitoches for the night (yes, I had to look up how to spell it again). Although a peon of a town, it is pretty charming. Rivers' roommates were lovely people and I really enjoyed hanging out.

These are from a hardware/knick-knack shop.







































I made the rest of the drive Tuesday morning, and did absolutely nothing interesting the rest of the break. I color it a success.

1 comment:

  1. you got overalls and didn't tell me?!?! Morgan Julia Searles!

    ReplyDelete