Friday, August 13, 2010

A Brief Blurb about Grammar Symbols

I consider myself fairly competent when it comes to using grammar. Although not at all perfect, I attempt to use proper language in my internet and cell phone use, and the English section has always been a high point for me on standardized tests. However, I am met with a certain bafflement when confronted with grammar symbols.

Two superscript commas are used as an abbreviation for measurements in inches. One superscript comma means feet. Two are also used in quoting. And one is also used in ...? When you feel too lazy to use the double? When loosely quoting? Just for fun? And although I've mostly learned through context clues what the difference is between a parenthesis and a bracket, I am still [occasionally] thrown off when [people] put [only certain] words in brackets (if you know what I mean). And don't even get me started on what the heck {these} things are supposed to be, because I don't have a clue!
I wonder if the inventor of the asterisk had any idea that it would one day replace the words "whoops I made a typo. I meant..." in casual typed conversation. Also, why do I need a forward and a backward slash? Wouldn't one have sufficed?

Of course it would only be a simple matter of Googling to reveal the secret meanings behind these symbols, but where's the fun in that? I much prefer to go on wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment