Monday, October 4, 2010

Writing

Well, I opened a new post so I could tell you about seeing Susan Vega perform live tonight. However I started typing and realized I'm having a bit of trouble writing in a conversational tone these days.

For those who don't know, I've started writing for the LSU newspaper The Daily Reveille in the entertainment section. I write articles and reviews once a week and a post on the Reveille's music blog Press Play every other week. This is the reason why the time between this post and my last is practically a million years in blog time. I really didn't mean to neglect my personal writing, but working for the paper takes a ton of my time.

There is a huge difference between casual writing and newspaper writing. All of the rules and structure is being ingrained into my head, with a media writing course on top of that to ensure that I'm learning how to de-personalize everything into facts and information from sources.
So trying to blog here is rather difficult. I'm going to have to learn how to turn my voice on and off when I write.

So far I think I like my major and my job. It's scary to think that maybe it isn't for me, because there's nothing else offered by LSU that I would rather be doing. I think it's important that I give everything a proper chance before I make any big decisions.

I'm going to make an effort to post more regularly, even if it's just a little blurb so that I can maintain the more creative aspects of my writing and story-telling while formal professional skills develop.

So about Susan, you should go listen to her songs "My Name is Luca" and "In Liverpool"

No comments:

Post a Comment